Currently, prescription drugs have become an escalating issue especially opioid painkillers, sedatives, stimulants, and anti-anxiety medications. These drugs are started with an aim to handle specific medical conditions, for example painkillers are taken to gain relief after surgery or grave injuries. Overtime, to attain same pain relief level dosage gets increased that few users become totally dependent. If they try quitting withdrawal symptoms gets experienced.
Similarly, there is a fine line between use of drugs and addiction. Drug users increasingly depend on these illegal drugs. It can be due to many reasons like to fit in a group of friends, to gain more confidence, to handle panic attacks, to enhance concentration to get relieved from pain, etc. what started as a weekend entertainment with friends soon turns into a daily activity.
Warning signs of crossing the line between use and abuse
Soon, drug use [legal or illegal] becomes very crucial in your life that –
- You start to neglect family or social responsibilities.
- You abandon your favorite activities.
- You feel relieved from withdrawal symptoms.
- You pursue using drugs even if you know it’s causing major life issues.
- You start to behave suspiciously and demand more privacy.
- You display reduced performance and attendance in school or at work.
- You lack motivation and appear lethargic.
- You show sudden angry outburst, mood swings, or irritability.
- There is an obvious but unexplained change in your attitude or personality.
Few things to help a loved one with drug issue
- Speak to the person, show concern, offer support without being hypercritical or judgmental.
- Avoid getting caught in drug abusers emotional appeal, which just increases the feeling of guilt.
- Never cover or shield the drug abuser for their behaviors negative consequences.
- Allow the person accept their responsibilities for this bad action, which is crucial step on the path to recovery.
- Encourage social activities and healthy hobbies.
- Never argue with them, when they are high.
- Get professional help or intervention counselor because they will be more inclined to listen to a different authoritative figure.
Choose a reliable Help Care Treatment Services or a rehab centre or opt for self-help programs, support is crucial.